Saturday, December 16, 2006

a momentary pause...


I'm working at a deadline right now. Excuse me team for taking this time, but I wanted to make the document both for posterity and for present inspiration. I hope we'll be able to apprecitate it with hindsight.

I've been working on the script for our studio project presentation. This wednesday is our final. I could do another big Elvis style entrance for this story and tell you the entire history and where I am now, but the bare minimum will have to do with this huge deadline looming.

I work hard and I don't usually enjoy it. It's been a while since I've been burning to get at a project, in fact since first semester - with an interlude of 2 years of 100 hour weeks - without feeling confident about the content of and how to express my ideas. I think I'm starting to figure out why Bruce held such high regard for the design education. Again, I digress.

Now that passion is coming back at the end of a project - usually when I'm at my most burnt out and drone-like. It's kind of amazing. I can't stop thinking about how to tell the story best, really give it the presentation it deserves. I guess I was never confident enough in my own work to be excited about presenting it. But I'm so overwhelmed with the talent in my group that I know in my heart of hearts we did a good job.

And then I know. I've done it. There has been a transformation. So obvious - but why was it so hard to believe you really did have to go through all that shit to get to the unicorn dream. That's what you have to do, and we as gsdesigners have chosen to get over that pile of shit by outsmarting it. So this is our challenge. Bear it with confidence and glee when you finally do climb over that pile of bullshit and all the bullshit experiences you've had along the way will transform your future into a unicorn dream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

One comment I can give you - from a dopey big brother - and I think it is a quote from a Rockefeller of all people. "People say 'I will work hard when I find out what I love'. That is backward. Work hard and you will love your work."